A marathon is a huge accomplishment, but it’s also very taxing on the body. Try these few tips to help you recover after this weekend.
1. Take some time off to rest. Most coaches recommend one day of rest for every mile run. That’s 26 days for you marathoners. Rest doesn’t mean you don’t do anything at all. Just stay away from impact. Light cycling or elliptical would be great for this. Yoga is also a great way to stay active, and let your body heal.
2. Try compression. Compression helps with circulation, which can speed up recovery significantly. Just remember, if you are wearing compression and not exercising, make sure you wear a full sock. Otherwise, the blood will pool in your feet.
3. Get a massage. A great massage therapist is worth their weight in gold. Test out the therapist at Active Spine.
4. Foam roll. If you can’t afford a massage get a foam roller and use. If you need advice for this, I’m happy to help.
5. Sleep. The body does most of its repairs when you are asleep. Cancel all of those early morning runs (see number 1), and sleep a couple more hours.
Wayne Earney MS, CSCS, PES, CES
Various individual(s) expressing their thoughts on running and the impact on everyday life.